Component B: Co-curricular Activities
For those of you who registered for GAP prior to March 1, 2017, you may choose to do to Path A, Path B, or the former co-curricular activities (Path C). If you registered after March 1, you may select from Path A or Path B.
Complete a minimum semester-long activity that requires at least 20 hours of active participation.
- Participate in Global Partners, the International Leadership Team, Language and Culture Liaisons, International Peer Support, or another international student-focused group.
- Join and actively participate in students groups with an international focus, such as Jayhawks without Borders, KU Polyglot, Engineers without Borders, Global Business Initiative.
- Belong to and actively participate in an on-campus cultural organization outside of your ethnicity, language, nationality, or religion.
- Conduct an internship with a global component
After this experience, you will complete a written reflection (at least 600 words) and submit a letter that you have participated in at least 20 hours in the organization from a faculty advisor or leader in the organization.
- Participate in 20 hours of campus activities that have an international and/or cultural focus. You will need to participate in events from at least three different world regions (e.g. Latin America, Asia, Africa, and Europe). Include only those activities outside of your ethnicity, language, nationality, or religion. You may spread these activities out over the entire time you are enrolled in the GAP program.
- Document the hours in your ePortfolio. Write reflections on four events and turn them in within 2 weeks of attending the event.
- These event-focused reflections will help you with the overall reflection after you complete your 20 hours of activities.
Path C (Available to those who registered prior to March 1, 2017)
- Participate in 20 hours of campus activities that have an international and/or cultural focus. Include only those activities outside of your ethnicity, language, nationality, or religion.
- Document the hours in your ePortfolio and respond to short-answer reflection questions on your experiences overall in the registered ePortfolio.
How to find activities that have international and/or cultural focus? You can check out 4 resources below:
***Please include only those activities outside of your ethnicity, language, nationality, or religion. We ask you to use these opportunities to explore different cultures.